So, I guess I’ll continue this series for a bit. I hope it is helping someone, and not just me dancing for the like button. Dance, monkey! Dance for the likes!
- Day eight. Rounded out miscellaneous blog posts for about 146 words, and posted the original Word Count Rant. No other writing. This is frustrating. Can’t seem to find the groove. Embrace the stink of failure.
- Day nine. Stupid comments on Facebook and Twitter is all I seem to write. Writing IS a pit of despair. Maybe 40 words. Another day of failure.
- Day ten. Tried to write a post about women warriors, but my blog rants are rambling and non-sensible. For fuck’s sake, I’m 49. Surely I’ve figured out something about life by now. (You haven’t, and stop calling yourself Shirley.) Still, it’s 604 words so I’ll count it as a goal win since I didn’t delete it right away.
- Day eleven. More snarky comments and pointless conversations while wasting time on Facebook. Trying to help a new friend launch a Dyslexic writers group, but not many bites. Re-read some of my WIP character bios, but can’t seem to force myself to start the next revision. That’s fine, because I really want to recapture the freedom and joy of writing a first draft. Revision is a slog, but you can’t get published until it’s ready! Word count fail.
- Day twelve. Another rambling/ranting blog, this time about slurs, both gendered and racially motivated. I just want to help people find a way to convince themselves to write, not become a ranting social troll. Yes, I want to promote social justice, but honestly, humans can’t even agree on what is basic human rights. Still, it’s 504 words, so I will win the goal today. I’ll decide later if anything can be salvaged from it. Mornings still seem to be the best for new writing, when my brain is fresh.
- Day thirteen. Maybe I should clean up and publish my rants. According to my WordPress stats my most looked at post was the rant-y The Hidden Hero. (Yes, that got turned into a shameless plug. Bite me.) But, jeez, there is sooooooo much random ranting on the internet these days. To tired from family stuff to think of something to write other than catching up on this log. Word count is 80. Fail!
- Day fourteen. Maybe I am relying on passion too much for daily writing, and trying to rough draft things that just aren’t ready to be written. Maybe a long project would work better, like taking one of the longhand novels and typing it up into a second draft would get me back into the habit of daily writing. Anyway, another day of FAIL!
It’s not pretty folks. Two days of Win, five of Fail. Making the decision to write everyday is just the first step. Don’t treat it like a New Years Resolution, and drop it the first day you screw up.
If this rambling post confused you, here is the daily word count post where I decided to encourage other writers to try it while pushing myself, and update #1. (More shameless plugs! Yay!) Here is update #3.
Meanwhile, I still haven’t caught up on months of email backlog, or checked out the new people who follow my blog (Hey, everybody!), posted reviews for a couple of books/stories (Sorry Sarah, Alice, Matt and Joe!), or done the beta read of the two new chapters for an incredibly patient writing friend (Sorry, Orlando!), but I’m trying, and that’s all anybody can ask.
And, yes, I know that’s a Chimchar, not a monkey. Work with me, people! Sheesh!